The perils of pennies for pets

04/24/2013 | CBS News

Pennies made later than 1982 contain zinc, which is toxic for dogs and cats if ingested, according to the AVMA. A Colorado dog died recently from the effects of a single penny that she ingested along with a quarter. Once absorbed, zinc harms red blood cells, leading to symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite, red urine and jaundice. "Zinc toxicosis is more commonly seen in dogs, but cats can get sick from eating pennies, too," said veterinarian Rebecca Jackson. "Be sure to bank your spare change before curious pets can get their paws on it -- and if they do, get them to the emergency vet immediately."

View Full Article in:

CBS News

Published in Brief:

SmartBrief Job Listings for Health Care

Job Title Company Location
Catheter Engineer Manager
ASAHI INTECC, Orange County CA R&D Center
Santa Ana, CA
Neurovascular Intervention Product Sales Rep, North East
ASAHI INTECC
Multiple Locations, SL_Multiple Locations
Senior Manager, Compliance
Stryker
Fremont, CA
Director, Office of Device Evaluation
FDA, Center for Devices and Radiological Health
Silver Spring, MD
Director, Office of Compliance
FDA, Center for Devices and Radiological Health
Silver Spring, MD