The perils of pennies for pets

04/24/2013 | CBS News

Pennies made later than 1982 contain zinc, which is toxic for dogs and cats if ingested, according to the American Veterinary Medical Association. A Colorado dog died recently from the effects of a single penny that she ingested along with a quarter. Once absorbed, zinc harms red blood cells, leading to symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, lack of appetite, red urine and jaundice. "Zinc toxicosis is more commonly seen in dogs, but cats can get sick from eating pennies, too," said veterinarian Rebecca Jackson. "Be sure to bank your spare change before curious pets can get their paws on it -- and if they do, get them to the emergency vet immediately."

View Full Article in:

CBS News

Published in Brief:

SmartBrief Job Listings for Retail

Job Title Company Location
Senior Manager Merchandising Asia China Implementation GBP
Walmart
Bentonville, Arkansas
Regional HR Manager
DAVIDsTEA
Boston, Massachusetts
Manager, Media Relations - National
Macy's
New York, New York
WebSphere Commerce Center eCommerce Developer
The Kroger Company
Blue Ash, Ohio
District Sales Manager- Locker Room by Lids in Macy's
LIDS Sports Group
Atlanta, Georgia