Renewable Energy
Top stories summarized by our editors
2/22/2017

The US doesn't have to choose between energy and jobs or the environment, said Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt during his first speech as EPA head on Tuesday. "I think our nation has been better than any nation in the world at making sure that we do the job of protecting our natural resources and protecting our environment, while also respecting the economic growth and jobs our nation seeks to have," he said.

Full Story:
The Hill
2/22/2017

The low-carbon sector accounted for about 3 million US jobs last year, which shows that renewables are a major driver behind US job growth, according to a coalition of clean energy trade groups that includes the American Wind Energy Association. "These jobs pay well, they support local economies and they fuel American innovation," said Solar Energy Industries Association President and CEO Abigail Ross-Hopper.

2/22/2017

The North Dakota Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee updated a proposal on Tuesday seeking to enact a two-year moratorium on new wind projects. The new provision would allow the state Public Service Commission to approve a project if "the commission determines additional generation is needed for consumers in the state."

2/22/2017

Iowa utility Madison Gas & Electric has proposed a new wind farm in Howard County that would feature 33 turbines and have a total capacity up to 66 megawatts, according to the company. MGE said it plans to break ground on the project next year, if it secures regulatory approval.

More Summaries:
Iowa, Howard County
2/22/2017

Innergex Renewable Energy has acquired a 69.55% stake in the 44-megawatt Yonne project in France, said the company. The Desjardins Group Pension Plan will continue to control the other 30.45%, it added.

Full Story:
ReNews.biz (U.K.)
2/22/2017

The Trump administration is in the final stages of drafting a pair of executive orders targeting the Clean Power Plan and the Waters of the US Rule, according to reports. The orders could be introduced as early as this week.

More Summaries:
Trump
2/22/2017

ScottishPower Renewables has secured approval from the Argyll and Bute Council to build the 36-megawatt Beinn an Tuirc Phase 3 project in Scotland, according to the company. It will feature 18 turbines.

Full Story:
ReNews.biz (U.K.)
2/22/2017

The Flexible Film Recycling Group teamed up with Connecticut officials to increase awareness about the need for plastic film recycling. The campaign will launch at Price Chopper supermarkets across the state and also will involve a "recyclability" logo indicating which plastic products can be recycled.

Full Story:
Environmental Leader
2/22/2017

Travel website Booking.com will launch an accelerator program to assist startups that want to make a positive impact on the environment. Booking.com Booster will provide mentors and funding for entrepreneurs working to bring environmental stewardship and cultural and historical preservation to the tourist industry.

Full Story:
Sustainable Brands
More Summaries:
Booking.com, tourist industry
2/22/2017

The UK Climate Coalition released a video to illustrate Earth's beauty and the need to protect it. "Love Song" features actors Charles Dance, Miranda Richardson, Jason Isaacs and David Gyasi reading a poem written by Anthony Anaxagorou against a backdrop of scenes of mountains, stars and forests.

Full Story:
Mother Nature Network
More Summaries:
U.K. Climate Coalition