More than 220 SmartBrief on Workforce readers weighed in on last week's SmartPulse question: Do you expect your organization to be under a hiring freeze in 2009?
- No, but we are using more caution than usual in our hiring plans 73 votes, 32.59%
- Yes, across the entire company 61 votes, 27.23%
- Yes, but exceptions will be made if we come across irresistible candidates 32 votes, 14.29%
- No, we're hiring as usual - 30 votes, 13.39%
- Yes, but only in certain departments 28 votes, 12.5%
"When the economy turns cool, many employers turn to hiring freezes to try to contain costs. More than a quarter of you are working for organizations that have instituted such policies across the board. Another 12% have halted hiring in certain departments. But not everyone is holding back: Nearly a third of you said you were still hiring, albeit cautiously, 13% say you are hiring as usual and 14% say you'll ignore a hiring freeze for the perfect candidate." -- Mary Ellen Slayter, senior editor, SmartBrief on Workforce.