The Chinese government has ordered Sina Weibo and other social-networking sites to require users to verify their accounts using ID-card numbers or phone numbers. Sina Weibo says it expects about 60% of its active users to confirm their identity by the government's deadline; the remaining 40% of users will be able to read messages, but will not be able to post content. The network will also be required to monitor popular accounts and delete messages that could damage "national interests."

Related Summaries