If your small business lost money or experienced a natural disaster, you may be able to take a net operating loss and get money from previous years' tax returns, writes tax pro Bonnie Lee. Another option is to carry the loss to the next year to lower taxable income. To file an NOL, use IRS Form 1045.

Related Summaries