Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II's acquisition of a 44-facility senior housing portfolio in the U.K. for $447.8 million is expected to close in the third quarter of 2013. The deal is part of the REIT's plan to grow its footprint internationally, says Jeff Hanson, chairman and CEO of Griffin-American.
Starwood Property Trust and Starwood Capital Group have finalized their $1.06 billion acquisition of LNR Property LLC. The Starwood companies have acquired LNR Property in order to diversify revenue sources.
Green Street Advisors is planning to launch coverage of the private commercial real estate market.
Company veteran Andrew McCulloch will lead the new group. "Eighty-five percent of U.S. commercial real estate is not owned by public REITs, and we realized there are tremendous opportunities to better serve this segment of the market," McCulloch said.
To get the most efficient and sustainable energy savings, the traditional barriers between landlords and tenants have to be broken down, says
Will Teichman, director of sustainability with Kimco Realty Corp. "When you look at a typical shopping center environment, about 85 percent of the energy use takes place inside the building and the other 15 percent is driven by the common area," he said.