Top 10: Whipped cream innovations, Triscuit snacks, Starbucks’ new perks
A book exploring culinary innovation that can be achieved by freezing whipped cream caught food-and-beverage readers’ attention this week and topped the Top 10 list. Once frozen, whipped cream can be molded and sliced to create new desserts that hold their shape after thawing, according to “The New Pie” by Chris Taylor and Paul Arguin.
Starbucks made the list with a story about its revamped loyalty program that offers expanded rewards options.
Retailers made news this week, including Dollar General which announced plans to become its own distributor of fresh produce and other grocery items. Costco’s growth story, Kroger’s sale of the Turkey Hill Brand and Walmart’s challenges in dealing with the rise in demand for delivery also proved popular.
Some CPG stories were also well-read, including Triscuit’s launch of Wheatberry Clusters snacks, the brand’s first non-cracker offerings since it launched 119 years ago. The exit of Organic Valley CEO George Siemon, who joined the company when it began in 1988, and Smartwater’s launch of flavored seltzers, also rated with readers.
Read the entire Top 10:
- Freezing whipped cream opens up a world of creativity
- Triscuit ventures beyond crackers with Wheatberry Clusters launch
- Dollar General plans to self-distribute grocery items
- Organic Valley CEO Siemon steps down
- Smartwater enters flavored seltzer category
- How Costco keeps growing with focus on culture
- Starbucks to expand options under revamped loyalty program
- Yogurt is a multipurpose marinade for meat
- Kroger sells Turkey Hill business
- Walmart, others face hurdles in delivery expansion
- Retailer as curator of the premium experience: Opening avenues of discovery for shoppers
- How retail positioning helps boost CPG sales
- Accelerators match big players with promising food startups
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for Restaurant Smartbrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and travel newsletters as we offer more than 30 newsletters covering the food and travel industries from restaurants, food retail and food manufacturing to business travel, the airline and hotel industries and gaming.