Top 10: New takes on well-loved CPG products took the spotlight
Big news from Hershey was this week’s most-popular news -- for the first time in its 125-year history, Hershey is unveiling a new look for its classic Milk Chocolate bars. The company will emboss each chocolate piece with a different emoji for a limited time so fans can express their moods.
Other big CPG names also unveiled new products, making this week's top 10 list -- General Mills is bringing its Lucky Charms Soft Baked Marshmallow Blondies to stores including Walmart and BJ's Wholesale. The squares feature the classic colorful marshmallows from the cereal and are drizzled with white icing.
Oreo is bringing three varieties to stores for the summer. Marshmallow Moon Oreos, Baskin-Robbins Mint Chocolate Chip Oreos and S'mores Oreos will hit shelves today and will remain in stores for a limited time.
And Pringles has brought out a Mystery Flavor to shelves at Walgreens stores for a limited time, and fans can go online through Aug. 13 to guess the variety for a chance to win $10,000. "The flavor was especially fun to develop because it needs to be spot on in order for fan to guess the taste," said Product Development Scientist Becky Wolfe.
News from Hain Celestial of plans to cut about 350 SKUs from its portfolio as part of an optimization strategy that includes reducing the number of co-manufacturers it uses also made this week’s top 10, as did rebranding efforts for Kellogg's Kashi GoLean cereal, which is changing its name to Kashi Go.
Non-CPG news included a story about Meijer expanding its presence in Ohio with three new supercenters and as well as consumer insights news about consumers’ interest in clean label.
Check out the complete list of this week’s most-read stories:
- Hershey changes chocolate bar look for 1st time in 125 years
- General Mills debuts Lucky Charms Soft Baked Marshmallow Blondies
- Hain Celestial embarks on SKU-cutting, restructuring effort
- 3 summer Oreo flavors hit shelves
- Buck names Hershey's "most important innovation of 2019"
- Kashi rebrands GoLean cereal with new name, packaging
- Meijer moves into NE Ohio with new stores
- Pringles brings Mystery Flavor to Walgreens stores
- Keurig Dr Pepper CEO: "We see white space in energy"
- Consumers gravitate from set diet plans to healthier overall eating
- Healthy desserts? Eating the gluten-free cake, too
- How general merchandise products are striving toward clean-label
- Do demos really help food brands boost sales and build buzz?
If you enjoyed this article, sign up for GMA SmartBrief, or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox, or check out all of SmartBrief’s food and travel newsletters as we offer more than 30 newsletters covering the food and travel industries from restaurants, food retail and food manufacturing to business travel, the airline and hotel industries and gaming.