Top 10: Walmart focuses on tech, Unilever and Nestle take interest in vitamins
A popular story among SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers this week was an examination of Walmart’s recently released annual report. The report emphasized the big-box retailer’s focus on digital technology as well as store upgrades and consumer engagement in 2021.
Other food retail items on the Top 10 list include Fresh Market winning a USA Today poll, which crowned it as the top grocery as chosen by readers, and Kroger’s announcement that the grocery chain’s private-label brands will now be a part of their in-house recycling program made in partnership with TerraCycle.
News about Hershey products took the top two spots on this week’s rankings. The new Reese’s Crunchy Peanut Bar has become a permanent candy offering while Hershey also introduced a s’mores-making kit featuring several of its brand’s candies as well as marshmallows and graham crackers, which is now available on Amazon and at Walmart locations in Canada.
In more consumer packaged goods news, Unilever and Nestle both made headlines this week with acquisition-related stories in the vitamin and health supplement market. Unilever has purchased supplement brand Onnit, and Nestle is reportedly in talks to acquire wellness brand The Bountiful Company.
The lone foodservice item on the list this week was about Restaurant Business’ finalists for Restaurant Leader of the Year. The five nominees are Restaurant Brands International CEO Jose Cil, Bloomin' Brands CEO David Deno, Papa John's CEO Rob Lynch, Wingstop CEO Charlie Morrison and Wendy's CEO Todd Penegor, and the winner is set to be announced in June.
Check out the complete list of this week’s top 10 most-clicked stories in SmartBrief's food and beverage briefs:
- Hershey adds new Reese's bar to permanent lineup
- Hershey rolls out S'mores Variety Kit
- Unilever purchases wellness company Onnit
- Walmart's annual report says tech will shape its future
- Fresh Market named top grocer in USA Today poll
- 5 CEOs nominated for Restaurant Leader of the Year award
- Summer-themed foods and beverages arrive on shelves
- Nestle may broker deal with The Bountiful Company
- General Mills to roll out 5 new cereal varieties
- Kroger adds private-label brands to recycling program
- What’s next for dairy alternatives?
- The power of personalization in food shopping: Two online retailers show the way
- Branding lessons from top food and beverage companies
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for Consumer Brands SmartBrief, FMI dailyLead or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters today, free