Top 10: Grocer growth plans, Wendy’s new ad
Grocery news drew in many SmartBrief’s food and beverage readers this week. Expansion plans from Lidl and ALDI took the top spot, followed by pandemic lessons from Stephenie Landry, vice president of Amazon Grocery. Food retail readers were also interested in a Q&A with Walmart CEO Doug McMillon in which he stressed the need for the retailer to be readily available wherever the customers are.
On the CPG side, readers were drawn in by news of J.M. Smucker's increased 2020 earnings, which were driven by a corporate restructuring, an increased focus on e-commerce and a decision to split the sales teams into two areas of focus. Summer flavors for Haribo’s Goldenbears candy were also of interest.
In other top news, the impact of the Paycheck Protection Program loan program from the Small Business Administration was tallied, with SBA administrator Isabella Casillas Guzman explaining that "The Paycheck Protection Program provided over 8.5 million small businesses and nonprofits the lifeline they needed to survive during a once-in-[a]-generation economic crisis.” Wendy’s also made news with its latest social media campaign, which brought a young boy's drawings and concepts to life on Twitter, with statements including "The meat is meaty" and "It fills you up!"
Read the full Top 10 now:
- Lidl, ALDI pushing ahead with US growth plans
- Amazon grocery VP talks pandemic lessons
- J.M. Smucker CEO explains 12% full-year earnings growth
- Haribo debuts summer edition Goldbears in 6 flavors
- Walmart CEO sits down for Q&A at annual meeting
- H-E-B bringing its flagship stores to DFW Metroplex
- SBA tallies the impact of 3 rounds of PPP loans
- Sprouts' new produce center key to future growth
- Wendy's turns a young fan's drawings into a new ad
- Calif. bill would provide universal school meals
- Creating plant-forward menus that serve the planet, consumers and the bottom line
- Will the future food supply chain reflect pandemic-era changes?
- Indoor gardening is here to stay
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for the FMI dailyLead, ProChef SmartBrief or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters today, free.