Top 10: Panera offers catering for remote workers, Fresh Market files IPO, CDC inspects E. coli outbreak
The lone foodservice news on this week’s list of most-clicked SmartBrief food-and-beverage stories was Panera Bread’s strategy to fulfill the needs of remote workers. While offices across the country have begun to reopen to employees, many people are still at least partially working from home. To accommodate these hybrid work models, Panera has introduced scheduled group ordering as well as catering for companies with workers in different places.
The No. 1 story this week was that Walmart has begun piloting an entirely self-checkout system at a store in Plano, Texas, where cashiers have been transitioned into the role of customer hosts to guide shoppers in the process. Other top retail news included The Fresh Market’s return as a public company following the chain’s IPO filing this week and C&S Wholesale Grocers’ purchase of 109 Piggly Wiggly and Butera grocery locations.
In the consumer packaged goods market, SmartBrief readers were most interested in new product debuts such as Kellogg’s new Eggoji waffles and Scorchin' Sour Cream & Onion flavor of Pringles. More CPG news that drew in clicks were insights from Frito-Lay North America chief marketing officer Rachel Ferdinando about the brand’s innovation strategy and Coca-Cola’s Q2 financial reporting.
Another major story this week affects businesses across the entire food and beverage industry; the CDC has identified an E. coli outbreak throughout 11 states. The public health agency also reported that there is an ongoing investigation to determine the origin and publish an outbreak notice if needed.
Check out the complete list of this week’s top 10 most-clicked stories in SmartBrief's food and beverage briefs:
- Walmart shifts to full self-checkout at Texas store
- E. coli outbreak hits 11 states
- The Fresh Market files IPO to return to public trade
- ALDI targets small-format sites with Corner Store design
- New CPG products include Chunky soup, Eggo waffles
- Nestle Toll House unveils fall lineup
- Coca-Cola Q2 sales soar 42%
- C&S Wholesale Grocers buys 109 Piggly Wiggly stores
- Frito-Lay CMO on what drives its innovation
- Panera wants to cater to office workers, remote employees
- COVID-19’s disparate toll on household routines and Americans’ paths to well-being
- 3 trends keeping shoppers in the frozen food aisle
- Trends report: The latest in sweets and snacks
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for Consumer Brands SmartBrief, FMI dailyLead or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters today, free