Top 10: Amazon Fresh grows in Pa.; Hershey’s has plans for Lily’s brand; Consumers worry about packaging waste
News that Amazon opened its first Amazon Fresh store in Pennsylvania with plans to add a second in the state was this week’s most clicked story among SmartBrief food and beverage readers. Amazon Fresh has 15 stores in California and Illinois, and its first Pennsylvania location is in Warrington, north of Philadelphia, with the second planned for the township of Bensalem. Other grocery retail news that made this week’s most-clicked list includes growth plans for Sprouts Farmers Market and the appointment of former Best Buy executive Sharon McCollam as the new president and chief financial officer of Albertsons.
Tyson Foods made headlines last week with its requirement that all employees get the COVID-19 vaccine by Nov. 1. This week, the company announced that about 5,400 employees have received at least one dose of the vaccine. Consumer Brands Association President and CEO Geoff Freeman said other consumer packaged goods companies will likely follow Tyson’s lead in mandating vaccines for employees if the FDA gives full approval to the vaccines. "Our members see a lack of full approval as one of the challenges with greater uptake -- particularly in the manufacturing facilities," Freeman said. "So, the sooner the FDA gives its full approval, the better off we'll be."
In restaurant news, the National Restaurant Association again called for the replenishment of the Restaurant Revitalization Fund, following the Senate’s approval of the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill that would cause the Employee Retention Credit to end three months earlier than scheduled. The potential end of the tax credit, which offers small employers an advance against up to 70% of the Social Security taxes they pay, “increases our need for Congress to act on behalf of the restaurant industry and replenish the RRF [Restaurant Revitalization Fund] in the planned reconciliation bill," the National Restaurant Association's Sean Kennedy said.
Read the full Top 10:
- Amazon Fresh opens first Pa. store, plans 2nd
- Infrastructure bill would end tax credit program early
- Hershey CEO: Why Lily's buy poses opportunity to scale
- Poll: Most US consumers troubled by packaging waste
- Tyson CEO on Q3, vaccines, "unprecedented" inflation
- JAB creates a new home for Panera, Caribou, Einstein
- Sprouts forges ahead with plans for growth
- Albertsons names former Best Buy exec as president, CFO
- Freeman: FDA approval will change CPG conversation on vaccines
- Nestle's Freshly unit to release DTC plant-based meals
- Kids food, beverage brands focus on taste, nutrition
- COVID-19’s disparate toll on household routines and Americans’ paths to well-being
- Trends report: The latest in sweets and snacks
If you enjoyed this article, you can sign up for Consumer Brands SmartBrief, FMI dailyLead or Restaurant SmartBrief to get news like this in your inbox. For even more great news content, sign up for any of SmartBrief’s 275+ free email newsletters today, free